1. When do we meet & where?
Mondays from 10 am to 6:45 pm; University Hall 343
2. When are office hours?
Wednesday 4-5 pm and by appointment
3. What is the attendance policy?
- If more than 3 hours is missed, a C+ is the highest grade I can receive (lowest allowable grade for the credential program)
- Three (3) points will be deducted for each hour absence or portion of an hour absence; this includes tardiness and early departures.
- No credit for the intermediate assessment for that day’s work.
4. What are options to make up a three-hour absence?
Make-up assignment must be negotiated with instructor. Due within 1 week of absence.
5. What are the text books/readings?
· “Rethinking Schools” Magazine
· Readings from the following texts (provided on Cougar Courses on-line):
· Baldwin, M., Keating, J. & Bachman, K. (2005). Teaching in secondary schools: Meeting the challenges of today’s adolescents. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN: 0130422231.
· Bigelow, Bill, et. al., Eds. (2007). Rethinking our classrooms, Volume 1 (2nd ed.). Milwaukee, WI: Rethinking Schools. ISBN: 978 0 942961 35 5.
· Charles, Carol. M. (2004). Building Classroom Discipline, (10th Ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon. ISBN: 9780137034055
· Choate, J.S. (2004). Successful inclusive teaching (4th Ed.). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon. ISBN: 0205388477.
· Wiggins, Grant & McTighe, Jay (2005). Understanding By Design (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN: 978 1 4166 0035 0.
6. What is the electronic communication protocol?
Electronic communication is part of my professional career. E-mail is the easiest way to reach the professor. Be sure to compose professional, well-written messages free of slang and typo.
7. What are the assignments?
- Reading Response & Blog Posts (weekly)
Compose reflective essays based on readings. Publish blog posts of essays. Come to class prepared to discuss.
- Cooperating Teacher Interview (week 1)
- Weekly Lesson Designs (weekly)
Provide copy of lesson plans to cooperating teacher every Friday and a copy to class every Monday for the week.
- Classroom Management Plan (week 5 & 6)
Write a comprehensive essay on my plan and thoughts for classroom management. Include my educational philosophy and different management approaches. Include citations.
- Unit Calendar & Assessment Plan
Bring a draft of the calendar to session 6.
- Unit Plan (week 6)
Design a plan that includes the comprehensive nature of curriculum design, including differentiation strategies, subject content, and rationale.
- Instructional Strategies (present on last day of class)
Create 10-20 instructional strategies for biology.
- Student Success Team (due week 14)
Participate in team meetings and write a reflective essay about what I learned.
- Dispositions Self-Assessment & Reflection (due week 5 & 14)
Based upon feedback, I will compose a reflection of my dispositions in social justice, collaboration, critical thinking, ethics, reflective teaching, and life-long learning.
Bonus: The syllabus is a contract between me and you (candidate/instructor), whether I read it or not. (T or F)