Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Dispositions and Action Plan (Week 14)



Dispositions and Disposition Rubric for the School of Education
­­California State University San Marcos

Name of Teacher Candidate: Rachel Richards
Semester/date: Fall 2012

1.     Social Justice and Equity
a.     Name:
This Fall 2012, I have a novice understanding of how to use social justice and equity with students in the classroom, and my overall score of “4” reflects this.
b.     Evidence:
                                                    i.     Week 5 Disposition Reflection and Rubric (“4”)
                                                  ii.     Coursework:
1.     Social Justice and Action Plan (EDSS 555)
2.     Multicultural Lesson Plan (EDSS 555)
3.     SDAIE Strategies List
                                                 iii.     Student Teaching:
1.     I practice building a safe classroom community based on mutual respect and acceptance. I do not tolerate teasing between students, especially because of differences.
2.     I incorporate multicultural role models into my lesson plans, when possible (e.g. famous female scientists or famous scientists of color).
3.     I provide students with extra assistance, outside of school, if needed.
                                                 iv.     Volunteer for ELD III/IV Class (4th period—Tues, Thurs, Fri):
Volunteering for an ELD III/IV class has made me more aware of the challenges students from a different language have to overcome in order to be proficient in English and the use of academic language.
                                                  v.     Meetings with ELD coordinator to learn SDAIE strategies to help ELD students has given me several concrete ideas to practice in the classroom to help students learn biology despite having to learn it in a foreign language.
c.      Reflection:
I strive to make the content accessible to all, including those with different cultures, backgrounds, languages, and students with special needs. I do this by presenting the material in different ways (orally, handouts, labs, and activities). I present students with backgrounds and biographies on famous female scientists or famous scientists of color, whenever possible. For instance, when teaching the students how DNA was discovered, I tell them the story of Dr. Rosalind Franklin, “The Dark Lady of DNA”. She discovered the double helix shape of DNA, but Drs. Watson and Crick stole her data and claimed it to be their own, resulting in a falsely earned Nobel Prize and infamy. I love being a female role model for other female students in the class. I discuss my experiences of being a scientist, whenever relevant, showing students my data from real experiments I did. This not only gives the class real-world relevance and application to the content I’m teaching, but also inspires young women in the class, showing them that a high-powered, prestigious career path, such as science, is attainable for them as well. One week, 5 female students in AVID, an academic success class, asked to interview me about my degrees and previous career path for an assignment. Some students were very shy and quiet and rarely volunteered to participate in class. I realized when they asked to interview me that they saw me as a role model. I felt honored that they selected me to interview, and it was extremely rewarding to realize that I’ve been making a difference to these students.
In addition, I do not tolerate disrespect between students. On the first day of school, I discussed the classroom rules, which are posted on the wall. One of these rules includes “Respect”, and I led a class discussion on the meaning of respect to one another. I’ve had to take disciplinary action twice against students who teased a student with special needs because of his differences. The consequences are: student was dismissed from class and given a “time out”, one-on-one talk, and phone call home. I take teasing and bullying very seriously and have a “0 tolerance” rule for disrespectful behavior. I emphasize building a classroom community of colleagues who feel safe sharing opinions and asking questions in class.
Students work with each other frequently in class on labs, projects, and other hands-on activities. Students enjoy opportunities to socialize with one another, and they learn much from each other through such peer-tutoring opportunities. However, this is also valuable in teaching students how to work cooperatively with one another, despite diverse cultural backgrounds and conflicting beliefs.
Finally, I also make myself available to students outside of class for extra assistance. Students who are earning a “D” or lower have signed Mandatory Lunchtime Tutoring contracts with me and their parents. Many of these students, coincidentally, are ELL students or are from monolingual, Spanish-speaking homes. By seeing them outside of class, I can provide these students with individual assistance to meet their unique needs. I tailor these tutoring sessions to meet each student’s needs. For instance, I might help a student struggling with vocabulary to make flash cards with simple definitions in the student’s own words, a challenging task for an ELL student.
d.     Action Plan:
I will continue to progress towards the Advanced Target to achieve a score of “5” in celebrating diversity in the classroom and working so that all ethnic and socioeconomic groups have access to an equal education. To do this, I will take the following steps:
                                                    i.     Attend an ELAC meeting to strengthen teacher-parent communication for students who do not speak English at home.
                                                  ii.     Be present when translator makes parent phone calls for me so that communication between me and parents are improved.
                                                 iii.     Continue to learn and practice SDAIE strategies in the classroom.
1.     Review SDAIE strategies list done in class.
2.     Observe a (at least one) SDAIE science class.
3.     Pick the brains of SDAIE teachers and SDAIE coordinator to learn more strategies.
2.     Collaboration
a.     Name:
This Fall 2012, I have a novice understanding of how to use collaboration as an educator, and my overall score of “4” reflects this. This disposition pertains to how I interact with other teachers, administrators, parents, and the wider community, in addition to working with students in the classroom.
b.     Evidence:
                                                    i.     Week 5 Disposition Reflection and Rubric (“4”)
                                                  ii.     Coursework:
                                                 iii.     Clinical Practice:
1.     Pep Rallies & Football Games
2.     Networking Opportunities with other teachers and administration (Happy Hour, Friday morning staff breakfasts)
3.     Parent-Teacher Meetings—504s, IEPs, SSTs, informal face-to-face, phone calls
4.     Back-to-School Night
5.     Parent newsletter, letters sent home (parent-teacher-student contracts)
6.     Weekly Department/Staff meetings (Tuesdays @ 7:30 a.m.)
c.      Reflection:
One of the reasons I love being a teacher is the feeling of family and community that a school provides. I enjoy being included as part of the school and look forward to opportunities to participate in school activities outside of the classroom. I love congratulating students on a game they won, particularly if I attended the game. I spend time getting to know each of my students as individuals, in and outside of class. I always wave and say, “Hi,” to my students outside of class. At the beginning of the year, many of them did not respond. After several months of strengthening my relationships with my students, many of my students eagerly smile and say, “Hi,” and ask how I’m doing when they see me outside of class. One of my most memorable experiences so far was being interviewed for the school television. After I was interviewed by students on my opinion of banning Hot Cheetohs at schools in California, I appeared on the school television the following week. All my students exclaimed when they saw me later, “We saw you on t.v.!”
In addition, my experience of meeting parents has been very positive. I love meeting other teachers, students, and parents. At first, I was intimidated by parents of my students. I thought they would be overly critical. However, my preconceived fears were immediately assuaged upon talking with parents, which I’ve done in several different ways throughout the semester (e-mails, letters home, face-to-face meetings, and phone calls). Now I enjoy meeting parents because I often learn something new about their student. Sometimes, I learn valuable teaching techniques that may help me differentiate my lessons accordingly. In addition, the parents are usually eager to work with me as a team to support the learning at home (e.g. studying, homework, etc.).
d.     Action Plan:
I will continue to progress towards the Advanced Target to achieve a score of “5” in collaborating with students, parents, administrators, other educators, and other people to foster an inclusive and supportive school community. To do this, I will take the following steps:
                                                    i.     Remaining quiet at department and staff meetings. Take notes and listen instead. Resist interjecting.
                                                  ii.     Call home and let parents know when students are doing well.
                                                 iii.     Host an informal after-school “Coffee Chat” for parents to meet with me.
                                                 iv.     Continue meeting teachers and administrators at my school site, especially when I move to Oceanside High in the spring.
                                                  v.     Coach cross-country in the future when I get my first teaching job.
3.     Critical Thinking
a.     Name:
This Fall 2012, I have a novice understanding of how to use critical thinking as an educator, and my overall score of “4” reflects this. This disposition pertains to how I use several resources to prepare my lessons.
b.     Evidence:
                                                    i.     Week 5 Disposition Reflection and Rubric (“4”)
                                                  ii.     Coursework:
1.     Discrepant Events Instructional Strategy List (EDSS 511)
2.     Discrepant Event “The Collapsing Can” Presentation (EDSS 545)
                                                 iii.     Clinical Practice:
2.     Science subscriptions to National Geographic and Scientific American
3.     Member of NSTA (National Science Teacher’s Association) and NABT (National Association for Biology Teachers)
4.     Collaboration with my CT, who also kindly provides me with lesson plan resources.
5.     Informal meetings with other science teachers to ask them about how they teach science. They also kindly provide me with lesson plan resources.
6.     Weekly Department Meetings (Wednesdays @ 7:30)—In part of these meetings, we exchange ideas about how to teach science.
c.      Reflection:
I constantly consult with other, veteran teachers, colleagues and professors to gather advice and resources for different ideas and ways to teach biology. I’ve particularly enjoyed learning about how to use discrepant events in the classroom from Dr. Keatings’ Science Methods Course (EDSS 545). I keep a blog on my teaching resources (www.drrichardsbiology.blogspot.com), which I update frequently. I read many sources of science news to stay current with my field, including Discover, National Geographic, New York Times Science, Science Daily, NPR Science News, and Scientific American. I’ve also joined a few organizations of educators in science to have another resource of tools available for me.
In addition to staying current in my field, I constantly assess my students’ progress to check to see if my teaching strategies are working. I survey my students and ask them for feedback periodically to explore alternative teaching strategies. I modify teaching strategies, as needed, and employ different ideas according to individual student needs. One overall credo I’ve learned which applies to critical thinking is to remain open-minded. As a teacher, I always like to have a back-up plan so that I can try something different if my original lesson is not working. This helps me remain flexible, making it easier to modify my lessons accordingly.
d.     Action Plan:
I will continue to progress towards the Advanced Target to achieve a score of “5” in thinking critically in teaching science and promoting the field of education in the life sciences. To do this, I will take the following steps:
                                                    i.     Plan curriculum for Chemistry, like I’ve done for Biology to prepare for teaching next year.
                                                  ii.     Write a STEM grant to get lab supplies for key molecular biology experiments (e.g. electrophoresis apparatuses, spectrophotometer, fluorescent microscope, incubator, shaker, etc.).
                                                 iii.     Participate in a weekly Science Teacher chat to exchange lesson plan ideas.
                                                 iv.     Stay current and update my PLN (bi-monthly).
4.     Professional Ethics
a.     Name:
This Fall 2012, I have been learning how to be a professional and ethical educator. My overall score of “4” reflects this. I act reasonably and professionally, keeping the students’ and school’s best interests in mind, when making judgments and decisions.
b.     Evidence:
                                                    i.     Week 5 Disposition Reflection and Rubric (“4”)
                                                  ii.     Coursework:
1.     NEA Code of Ethics Reflection
                                                 iii.     Clinical Practice:
1.     Confidentiality on SST meeting and other meetings.
2.     I do my tasks promptly and thoroughly.
3.     I ask questions whenever unsure.
4.     I am punctual, dress professionally, and always wear my name badge.
c.      Reflection:
I consult with my master teacher whenever I have any question about how to handle a potentially sensitive situation, such as suspected drug abuse, or when to call a parent. We follow the school rules, according to the handbook. I ask my master teacher and/or my OSL whenever I’m unsure about what action I should take with students or parents. Recently, we attended a very sensitive and emotional SST. I asked whether the student had any knowledge of the meeting. My master teacher said we were not allowed to talk to the student, or anyone else, about the meeting. I was relieved he had given me this information so that I didn’t accidentally make a huge mistake. I’ve learned to always ask questions before taking action, if I’m unsure. This can prevent very serious mistakes.
d.     Action Plan:
Sometimes, I feel a bit overwhelmed trying to remember what to say and what not to say to students. I hope to become more comfortable in wearing the “professional teacher’s hat” in the future. I will continue to progress towards the Advanced Target to achieve a score of “5” in being a professional and ethical educator by taking the following steps:
                                                    i.     Arrive 30-45 minutes before school begins.
                                                  ii.     Finish all assignments early.
                                                 iii.     Continue asking questions when unsure about what actions to take but eventually become more independent and confident about making these decisions in the future.
5.     Reflective Teaching and Learning
a.     Name:
This Fall 2012, I have been learning how to be a reflexive educator. My overall score of “4” shows this. I am open to feedback from others observing me, and I reflect on my lessons regularly, modifying and adjusting, as needed.
b.     Evidence:
                                                    i.     Week 5 Disposition Reflection and Rubric (“4”)
                                                  ii.     Coursework:
1.     Action Research—EDSS 545 (Keating) and EDSS 555 (Daoud)
                                                 iii.     Clinical Practice:
1.     Observations (CT and US)
c.      Reflection:
I journal reflections of my lesson after teaching each one. I ask my master teacher for feedback following each lesson. I e-mail every lesson plan to my university supervisor, and he gives me feedback. I respond positively to his feedback and incorporate his suggestions into future plans. I modify lesson plans and written work following feedback from my professors, advisor, or master teacher. I also monitor and modify each class period, sometimes making changes between 5th and 6th period, as needed. I’ve learned, as a teacher, I must be flexible and willing to constantly adapt and try new things. Some plans work, and others don’t. I’m constantly assessing and modifying.
I’ve been working with my CT and US to improve my classroom management skills lately. For some reason, the suggestions provided to me are easier said than done. I am learning how to be stricter with my students by getting them to pay attention more and shortening transition time. I find that it helps if I predict the student’s misbehavior ahead of time (based on my observations and reflections), plan out my action (what I will say and do—e.g. one-on-one talk and phone call home), and what I want the results to be (outcome). This makes it much easier for me to follow through effectively with disciplinary action. I want to continue doing this in the future.

d.     Action Plan:
I will continue to progress towards the Advanced Target to achieve a score of “5” in reflecting on my teaching by reflecting on each lesson, congratulating myself on what worked, and modifying what didn’t work.
                                                    i.     Continue working on classroom management skills.
                                                  ii.     To modify, identify the problem and come up with a “mini” action plan. Write it down on paper. Rehearse what to say.
                                                 iii.     Don’t forget to congratulate myself when my plans are successful (with the students).
                                                 iv.     Seek out observations and feedback from other administrators. (Follow up each with a thank you).
                                                  v.     Observe other teachers 2x/week (2 hours minimum).
6.     Life-Long Learning
a.     Name:
This Fall 2012, I have been reinforcing life-long learning skills. My overall score of “4” reflects this.

b.     Evidence:
                                                    i.     Week 5 Disposition Reflection and Rubric (“4”)
                                                  ii.     Coursework:
                                                 iii.     Clinical Practice:
1.     My blog, which I use to list my lesson plan ideas and engagement video clips for the anticipatory set: www.drrichardsbiology.blogspot.com.
2.     Subscriptions to Education Week, Scientific American and National Geographic
3.     Memberships to ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education), NABT (National Association for Biology Teachers) and NSTA (National Science Teachers’ Association)
4.     My PLN, including: Classrom 2.0, Educator’s PLN, and Diigo.
c.      Reflection:
I have a Ph.D. in Cell & Molecular Biology, and I love keeping current with the field of biomedical research. One of the reasons I love being a teacher is that I can continue being in a school, an environment that fosters lifelong learning. I continue to scan the literature to keep current with my field. I constantly communicate with my professors to glean valuable information from them. I take copious notes to capture anything I might be able to use as a teacher, including resources, PLN contacts, websites, summer internships, and grant-writing opportunities. I belong to NABT (National Association for Biology Teachers), NSTA (National Science Teachers Association), ISTE, Education Week, Classroom 2.0, to name a few. I also work with other students several times a week to collaborate on assignments. I am excited about being a teacher because I get the opportunity to continue learning, nurturing my innate life-long passion for biology, science, and education.
d.     Action Plan:
I will continue to progress towards the Advanced Target to achieve a score of “5” in being a life-long learner by continuing to seek out opportunities to learn more about biology and education.

                                                    i.     Start or foster a science club at my school site, in the future.
                                                  ii.     Participate in the local science fair, and encourage my students to enter.
                                                 iii.     Stay current with and maintain my PLN by updating networks (2x/month).
                                                 iv.     Continue to seek out fun and exciting lesson plans, anticipatory sets, and student activities and labs.
                                                  v.     Encourage students to learn about subjects more in-depth by offering enrichment ideas, activities, and extra credit projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment